Sunday, March 4, 2012

Maine

Well, turns out my final Wikitravel project is on my hometown, Gorham, instead of the city of Portland. Portland already has a huge Wiki with just about every single restaurant and thing to do in it, so I wouldn't have too much to add to the page. At first I was a little mad that I was confined to just Gorham, but in the long run I'm really glad I got to do the town where I grew up. It made me realize how much I really do love Gorham. It's such a great community with underrated small local businesses. I thought I knew everything about Gorham, but it turns out there is a whole lot more to do in my town that I thought previously.

I went home during the long President's Day weekend for a short but sweet visit. Although me and my sister did go into Portland, we also stayed in Gorham too. GHOP for dinner, Goodwill for a little bargain shopping, and Mr. Bagel with my old friend Jasmyn for breakfast on the day I left. Like any small town, all the high schoolers and naive teenagers constantly complain about having "nothing to do" on the weekends... but I think completely differently. I love how queit Gorham is. It's so calming. From anywhere you go at night, you get an amazing view of the crystal clear night sky; something I really missed while I was at school or in the city. And researching about PineCrest Inn (a place my parents visit frequently... my mom is involved in the Town Council and always has meetings or parties there) makes me want to be 21 so I can be all fancy and have a wine tasting party while watching a live band with my friends (haha).

Overall I had a lot of fun talking about the different things to do in Gorham. Getting to know Wikitravel itself was pretty fun as well. Like any site, just by looking at what other people have done it's pretty easy to catch on, especially with formatting. Wikitravel looks confusing, but the contributors and moderators make it as simple as possible for you.

All I have to do now is the "Get In" section, which won't be that hard. I just have to inform about the Jetport and Amtrak. I also have to add pictures, which my extremely kind mother is sending me some from home that she already has, since I didn't have a camera when I went home last! I'm excited to see when my page is completely done, because it's been really fun seeing it come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment