Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thoughts on Wikitravel

I think Wikitravel is a great site. Before this class, I had actually never heard of it, but through these few links and in-class discussion, I've come to realize that it is a great tool.

One thing I find interesting about Wikitravel is that real people contribute to it, which is perfect for travelers who want real opinions on a certain place. Those who post a guide are doing it because they want to share their passion for that city, which, in turn, makes for a lot of ethos. Readers trust their opinions and advice on where to travel because it's not just a book or travel guide telling you where to go. People, unlike a book, can tell you details of an experience.

Wikitravel is very handy to readers because it's 100% free. I think this is one of the best things about Wikitravel- it's trustworthy, real information right at your hands without having to spend a single cent on any travel books.
It is also very user-friendly. Readers can search any destination or attraction and find everything associated with it. There are other links on the site, too, to help you with common travel issues, such as dealing with money, visas, staying safe, and dealing with language barriers. Plus, if your questions aren't answered by the guide alone, you can contact a docent, or a volunteer guide, to answer further or more personal questions about their experiences. Cool, right?

Overall, I think Wikitravel is a great tool and I am looking forward to this project so that I can share my passion and favorite places to go, do, and see in the city of Portland, Maine.



No comments:

Post a Comment